Nutanix Physical Memory Nodes Upgrade can be done Without downtime.
Following procedure is non-disruptively and can be done one node at a time.
Pre-checks to ensure the cluster is entirely healthy before performing maintenance.
1. Cluster status and validate that all services are listed as UP, and all nodes are listed as up.
2. Download and install the latest version of NCC (Nutanix Cluster Checker) and execute all health checks. (ncc health_checks run_all) If any fail, consult support before proceeding.
3. Identify the node you are performing the hardware maintenance on by turning on the chassis identifier lights on the front and back of the node that you will remove using one of the following options. They will turn the light on for 4 minutes unless you change the value.
– Log on to a Controller VM, and issue the following command.
nutanix@NTNX---A--CVM$ ~/serviceability/bin/chassis-identify -s 192.168.3.39 -t 240
To do it from the ESXi host .
root@esxhost1# /ipmitool chassis identify 240
Shutting down the CVM and ESXi host
1. Shutdown or Move/vMotion all VM’s except for the Nutanix CVM, off of the ESXi host you are installing the memory in.
2. Right, click the ESXi host and select Enter Maintenance Mode.
- In the Confirm Maintenance Mode dialog box, uncheck Move off and suspended VM to other hosts in the cluster and click Yes.
- The host is placed in maintenance mode, which prevents VMs from running on the host.
3. Right-click the CVM that resides on that ESXi host and select power -> shut down guest
or nutanix@CVM-A# cvm_shutdown -P now
4. Right-click the ESXi host and choose Shut Down(You can use IPMI if any error while shutting down ESXI Server).
Note :- When VMware vCenter shows that the host is not responding, you can proceed to the next step.
Physically Removing the Node from the block and adding the DIMMs
- Label the cables so that when you replace the cables, you know the correct positions.
- Disconnect any cables plugged into the node.
- Press the release latch and grasp the handle and pull the node from the Nutanix block. Be sure to support the node with one hand underneath as you remove it.
- Depress the tabs on either end of the DIMM slot.
- Align the DIMM module notch to the bottom of the DIMM slot push the DIMM down into the slow until the latches lock in place.
- Slide the node into the block until the latch engages.
- Connect all cables correctly, as attached before.
- Turn on the node by pressing the power button.
- Verify that ESXi boots up and reconnects to vCenter by connecting web client.
- Verify that the CVM boots up fully if not right click it and attempt to start it. run virsh list in ahv.
- Verify that the CVM participates fully in the cluster and that all cluster services are back up.
- SSH to the CVM and run ‘cluster status’ and make sure all Nodes and services are listed as up. ‘cluster status | grep -i down’ to double check no services or CVM’s are listed as down.
Repeat the steps on all nodes.