HYPER-V TO AHV USING NUTANIX MOVE MIGRATION
Nutanix Move is compatible with following Microsoft Hyper-V Hypervisor.
- Windows Server 2012 with Hyper-V Server (Standalone and failover Cluster)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V Server (Standalone and failover Cluster)
- Windows Server 2016 with Hyper-V Server (Standalone and failover Cluster)
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 Server (Standalone and failover Cluster)
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 Server (Standalone and failover Cluster)
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 Server (Standalone and failover Cluster)
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 Server (Standalone and failover Cluster)
Note :Windows Server 2k8 is Hyper-V hypervisor is not supported. You can fallow this article Manual Migration.
General Requirements for migrating VMS :-
- PowerShell version must be 4.0 or later
- WinRM is enabled on the Guest OS level.
- Guest VMS should be communicated with Nutanix move for automatic and Manual migration.
- Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox are the supported and recommended browsers.
- Ensure that the Virtual Machines have Hyper-V integration services installed and IP address is present in the Networking tab of the Hyper-V manager for automatic VMs migration.
- For Automatic Migration mode :- Ensure WinRM is configured on Hyper-V servers and Windows guest VM and ports are open in firewall Windows Remote Management (WinRM) feature to work.WinRM-HTTPS: 5986 WinRM-HTTP: 5985
- Local administrator account is recommended for migration.
- User credentials entered during migration should have administrator level privileges.
This diagram will show how Nutanix Move works with Hyper-V.
Adding Windows Hyper-V Source Environment
Once you login into the Nutanix move console
- Click on add environment
2. Enter the details
If you have not installed Move agent in Source Hyper-V Server. You will get below error.
Move hyper-v agent automatic installation failed. Failed to download Move agent installer file on Hyper-V host: Please check if file exists on move appliance.
Following are the reason of this error :-
- Move Agent is not installed in Source Hyper- V Server
- Take MSTSC and ope the browser and type :-
http://<move-ip>/downloads/agents or http://<nutanix-move-ip>/downloads/agents/move-agent-installer.exe
<nutanix-move-ip> with the IP address of the Move VM.
By default, the agent is downloaded in download folder,and copy or move the downloaded file under “C:\users\Administrator” or domain administrator.
- Open the command prompt with “Run as administrator”
move-agent-installer.exe -o [operation] -ip [move ip] -u [user]
Try again adding Hyper-v environment this time it will work without any issue
Now create new Migration plan and start migrating VMS which is the same as VMware to AHV.
Supported Guest Operating systems from Hyper-V to AHV.
|Sr. No||Operating System||Gen 1 Supported||Gen 2 Supported|
|1||Windows Server 2019||Yes||Yes**|
|2||Windows Server 2016||Yes||Yes**|
|3||Windows Server 2012 R2||Yes||Yes**|
|4||Windows Server 2012||Yes||Yes**|
|5||Windows Server 2008 (32 bit)||NA – Target||NA – Source|
|6||Windows Server 2008 (64 bit)||NA – Target||NA – Source|
|7||Windows Server 2008 R2||Yes||NA – Source|
|8||Windows Server 2003 SP2 (32 bit)||NA – Target||NA – Source|
|9||Windows Server 2003 SP2 (64 bit)||NA – Target||NA – Source|
|10||Windows 7 (32 bit)||Yes||NA – Source|
|11||Windows 7 (64 bit)||Yes||NA – Source|
|12||Windows 8 (32 bit)||Yes||NA – Source|
|13||Windows 8 (64 bit)||Yes||Yes**|
|14||Windows 10 (32 bit)||Yes||NA – Source|
|15||Windows 10 (64 bit)||Yes||Yes**|
|16||RHEL 6.5 – 6.9, 7.x (64 bit)||Yes||NA – Target|
|17||CentOS 6.5 – 6.9, 7.x (64-bit)||Yes||NA – Target|
|18||Ubuntu 14, 16, 18||Yes||Yes **|
|19||FreeBSD 11||Yes||NA – Source|
|20||Debian 9.4||Yes||Not Certified|
|21||Oracle 7.x||Yes||Not Certified|
If the source VM is created using Secure boot with UEFI, Need to enable uefi in AHV.
nuntanix@CVM#acli vm.update <vm_id> uefi_boot=True Must be enabled for the below operating system CentOS 7.4 2, 6.8 3, 8, 8.1, 8.2 Ubuntu 12.04 4, 19.04 Oracle linux 7 5 RHEL 6.8, 8.1
Guest VM State Which is not supported by Nutanix Move.
- VM with no NICs.
- VM with physical disks.
- VM with no Vdisks.
- VM with shared Vdisks (2016 onwards)
- VM which is not in powered ON/OFF state.
- VM with warnings or alerts.