DELLEMC STORAGE UNITY XT TERMINOLOGY frequently asked questions
- What is the maximum number of I/O modules that can be added to a Dell EMC Unity XT 680 storage array?
Ans :- A maximum four (4) I/O modules can be used in each Dell EMC Unity model.
2.Which Storage Processors contain two CPUs in DellEMC XT?
Ans :- The Dell EMC Unity 480, 480F, 680, 680F, 880, 880F Storage Processors each contain two CPUs.The Dell EMC Unity 380 and 380F Storage Processors each contain one CPU.
3. What is Service port in VNX/VNXe/Unity/Unity XT?
Ans :- The service port can be used to provide a Serial Over LAN [SOL] connection to the array using the IPMI tool.
4.What is Management Port in VNX/VNXe/Unity/Unity XT?
Ans :- The management port is used to connect to a network for management operations.Each management port can be configured with its own IP address.
5. What is DPE/SP Embedded USB Ports?
Ans :- Dell EMC Storage supports a USB port that is v2.0 and v3.0 capable. The port connects internally to the Platform Controller Hub [PCH] on the respective CPU. This port is for internal use only.
6. What is Dell EMC Unity storage Converged Network Adapter (CNA)?
Ans :- The CNA controller supports both Ethernet/iSCSI/File or the Fibre Channel protocols depending on which SFP is inserted.
For block and file protocols, users can configure a 1 GbE SFP or a 10 Gb/s SFP.
For Fibre Channel connectivity, CNA ports can be configured with either multi mode or single mode SFPs. Single-mode SFPs support 16 Gb/s only.The supported Fibre Channel topologies and speed include: Support for 4/8/16 Gb/s [Auto Negotiable]
7.Which LED on the SP warns about the potential for Data loss and Data unavailability?
Ans :- Unsafe to Remove:- Removing the healthy SP means that all cached data would be lost. Never remove the healthy SP when it is Unsafe to Remove LED is illuminated.
8.Supported I/O Expansion Modules
- The 12 Gb/s SAS BE SLIC is a 4 port x 16 lane interface that is designed to accommodate DAE expansion.
- The 16 Gb/s FC I/O module is used to service the front-end Fibre Channel block protocol in a direct connect configuration or via a switch.
- The 10 GbE Base-T front end SLIC provides iSCSI block connectivity and NAS file connections configurable at the same time.
- The 4-port 25 GbE optical SLIC can operate at 25 Gb/s or 10 Gb/s speeds. Users requiring 10 Gb/s connectivity can insert a 10 Gb SFP.
9. What are the Supported DAE configuration on Unity XT?
There are three types of DAEs for EMC Unity XT:
- 2U, 25 Drive DAE with 2.5-inch drives
- 3U, 15 Drive DAE with 3.5-inch drives
- 3U, 80 Drive DAE with 2.5-inch drives
Each model supports a different number of drive slots.
- EMC Unity XT 380/380F – 500 drive slots
- EMC Unity XT 480/480F – 750 drive slots
- EMC Unity XT 680/680F – 1000 drive slots
- EMC Unity XT 880/880F – 1500 drive slots
10. What are the supported SAS Flash Drives.?
1)SAS FLASH 2
- SAS FLASH 2 drives use the eMLC technology and are rated at 10 writes per day.
- Only the 400 GB size is supported in the Unity XT.
- SAS Flash 2 drives are supported in FAST Cache and Mixed Pools on Hybrid systems.
2)SAS FLASH 3
- SAS Flash 3 drives use the eMLC technology and are rated to 3 Writes Per day.
- They are available in capacities of 800 GB, 1.6 TB, and 3.2 TB.
- The 800 GB SAS Flash 3 drives are for use in All-Flash Pools and Mixed Pools.
- The 800 GB, 1.6 TB, and 3.2 TB Flash 3 drives are supported in Mixed Pools.
- SAS Flash 3 drives cannot be used in FAST Cache.
3.SAS Flash 4
- SAS Flash 4 drives use Triple Level Cell technology and are rated at 1 Writes per day.
- They are available in capacities of 1.92 TB, 3.84 TB, 7.68 TB, and 15.36 TB
- SAS Flash 4 drives can only be used in All-Flash pools.
- SAS Flash 4 drives can be used in the system drive slots.
- SAS Flash 4 drives can be mixed in other SAS flash drive types in a pool.
- SAS Flash 4 drives cannot be used in FAST VP or FAST Cache implementations.
11. What is the RPM Supported?
1) SAN 10K RPM
- SAS 10 K RPM drives are available in 600 GB, 1.2 TB, and 1.8 TB capacities.
- SAS 10 K RPM WIll give random IOPS at 4K in between 142 – 151 and bandwidth 58.1 – 107.2
2) SAS 15 K RPM
- SAS 15 K RPM drives are available in 600 GB.
- SAS 15 K RPM WIll give random IOPS at 4K in between 188 – 203 and bandwidth 91.5 – 126.3
3) NL SAS 7.2 K RPM
- NL SAS 7.2 K RPM drives are available in 2 TB, 4 TB, 6 TB, or 12 TB.
- NL SAS 7.2 K RPM WIll give random IOPS at 4K in between 73 – 79 and bandwidth 43.4 – 97.8
Also, See:- DellEMC vSAN ready nodes