The NCC health checks disk_usage_check verifies if any individual disk or CVM / system partition usage is showing above 80% usage because of Journal.
This is because journalctl was old archived files and it could write and preserve logs up-to 1GB.
Run below comand to allow journalctl to use a maxsystem storage of 512MB for logging.
nutanix@cvm1:~$ allssh ‘sudo journalctl –vacuum-size=512M’
- If CVM System Root Partition Usage is more that 80%, a WARNING is returned.
- If CVM System Root Partition Usage is more that 90%,a FAIL is returned.
Re-run this NCC health check per below steps to confirm if investigation is still required.
1. Triggered by a disk (e.g. /dev/sdX):
In this case, data cleanup within the container might be required.
- Deleting unused data or stale VMs and/or data also helps reduce space usage.
- Check if there is any unnecessary reserved space at the container level.
- Check if unused Snapshots are present on cluster
- Adding nodes to the cluster also increases available space to provision for VMs.
nutanix@cvm1$ ncli health-check ls id=1003
2. Triggered by a CVM non-system partition (e.g. /home):
Look at the NCC output to determine which CVMs and which system partitions have high usage, then do the following:
- Log in to the any CVM with putty.
- Use the cd command and go to /home directory
- List the contents of the directory by size using the command below:
- nutanix@cvm1$ ls -al | sort -k5,5nr
- Delete the logs or ISO files which are not required.
- Run the du command below to list the usage of each file and subdirectory.
- nutanix@cvm1$ sudo du -skx * | sort -rn
- Below are some common subdirectories under /home where large unused files may exist, which can be deleted:
- /home/nutanix/data/log_collector/ – delete old logs
- /home/nutanix/foundation/isos/ – delete Old ISOs of Hypervisor or Phoenix.
- /home/nutanix/foundation/tmp/ – Temporary files that can be deleted.
- /home/nutanix/data/logbay/bundles/ – Delete log bundles no longer needed.
3. Triggered by a CVM root system partition (i.e. /):If the root partition usage is above 80% and AOS is above 5.11. contact Nutanix Support team.
If you are getting usage alerts on the / partition and the usage is less than 80% based on the output of:
nutanix@cvm1$ df -h /
Gather the following command outputs and attach it to the support case and upload on case.:
nutanix@cvm1$ ncc health_checks run_all
if the issue is not resolved Support team will run script for resolving this issue.